C-Geo v. 7.0 for Windows is a computer application which enables importation of survey data from geodetic instruments (electronic tacheometers, code levels, field recorders, GPS receivers). The application performs functions of CAD programs ( editing of vector maps and raster maps). It also contains GIS systems functionality (databases associated with map objects). C-Geo is designed for surveyors, designers and engineers in other specializations. At present it is used by over two thousand small and large geodetic companies in Poland as well companies from branches such as: geodesy and cartography, constructing, road-building, archeology, railroad engineering, storage operation, husbandry and forestry, geology, industrial plants (shipyards, breweries), municipal enterprises, military units, departments of geodetic administration, mining, medicine, advanced and mid-level university studies. Functionality given during designing of the program:
1. Co-operation with tacheometers, code levels and recorders in processing of ground data. The list of tacheometers contains all instruments available in Poland (e.g. Geodimetr, Leica, Nikon, Sokkia, Topcon, Pentax, Trimble, Zeiss and others). The program also reads data from code levels Leica NA, Sprinter, Sokkia SDL, Topcon DL, Trimble DiNi. The MGEO program was created specially to facilitate interaction with Psion WorkAbout field computers. It makes it possible to perform all calculations in the field as well as to record tacheometry, levelling, cross-sections etc.
2. Resolving of main calculation tasks in geodesy: engineering levelling, intersections (angular, linear, resections, combined, with adjustment, in space), intersections (of straight lines, circles), surface area of parcels and usable grounds, object division onto given area, polygonal traverses, offsets, projection, polar surveys, polar alignment work, transformation of coordinates (Helmert, affine), projection reductions (65, 2000), rigorous adjustment of horizontal network and levelling network, analysis of vertical dislocations, settlement of usable grounds in parcels, analysis of topology, regulation of overhead cranes, angles book, sides and directions book, spatial transformation etc.
3. Enabling performance of: numerical models of terrain DTM (volumes, cross-sections, contour lines, surface areas in space, 3D models - Open GL), vertical cross-sections (including volumes of road works), XYZ calculations of routes (route axle and additional points, route realization control)
4. Calculations (transformations) of coordinates between different systems - 1965/1992/2000/WGS 84 (geographic). There is the possibility to enter data according to different standards (degrees, decimals, grades). To increase the precision of calculations global corrections are taken into consideration while transforming from 1965 system onto 2000 system.
5. Unlimited base of geodetic coordinates (associated with the base of sketches) can be freely changed by the user (e.g. adding new informational fields). Tens of data processing operations may be performed on the base (e.g. points screening and sporting by given criteria, renumbering, finding nearby points, transformations, selecting, etc.). The coordinates can be imported from different formats (text, SHP, etc.). The base is strictly associated with the map - a new point in the base will be placed on the map and vice-versa.
6. Import and export of data CAD/GIS (Microstation, ArcView, AutoCAD, MapInfo, GML/XML, InRoads and other). It concerns the map (e.g. selected layers, specified map fragment or map range) as well as points or map objects (also selected according to a criterion - e.g. all residential buildings)
7. Integration of the numerical map with the base of coordinates and the calculation modules. The map (vector and raster content) is consistent with geodetic instruction (it is possible to define new symbols and tables of codes). It is created simultaneously with the base of coordinates and data processing in the calculation modules (e.g. transferring onto the map the course of calculated route or contour lines interpolated in the module DTM). It can be fed by external data (import) or transmitted to other CAD programs in the form of vectors (e.g. DXF, DGN, SHP) or rasters (e.g. TIFF as a combination of vector content and raster content).
8. Effective creation of larger map compilations by functions accelerating map creation (e.g. base of texts frequently used on the maps, advanced editors of map objects, quick change of drawn objects attributes and tents of other options.) The map can also be transformed from one coordinates system to another.
9. Easy way to place on the map pieces of information and pictures from other programs, e.g. MS Excel (tables, drawings) and easy transfer of pictures from the map as well as the calculation results from the editor of reports to MS Word. A built-in reports editor, among other functions, enables selecting particular calculation results to be printed or exported (e.g. only Tacheometry performed on a specified date). There are several variants of the map printout - whole map, area limited by indicated range, section, map fragment inserted to a form (e.g. principal map).
10. Scanning, editing (removing unnecessary content, change of attributes), rectification (calibration using affine or Helmert method), transformation (e.g. indicated group of rasters) and rasters conversion (e.g. from formats CIT, GEOTIFF, TIFF+TFW, etc.).
11. Creation of SQL databases associated with objects on the map (GIS functions), possibility to attach external databases (MS Access, DBASE). A database can be associated with, for example, parcels on the map, which enables creation of land registers. In addition SQL queries can be created for objects existing in the database (e.g. select object with area greater than 1000m2).
12. Providing additional calculation modules: editors of symbols, forms and codes editors, map templates, C-Raster module used for processing of raster files, etc.
13. Data management - project explorer - function enabling easy access to the bases of coordinates, maps and calculation tasks, searching for maps according to different criteria, quick map preview, archiving projects, granting controlled access to projects for your co-workers, grouping similar types of projects in folders, searching for points existing in any created projects (according to given criteria e.g. section, point number), etc. By implementation of the above features a unique packet of GEO/CAD/GIS software has been created. It has become a universal work tool not only for surveyors but for many other branches mentioned above. Intuitively easy to use program functions and its price makes C-Geo real competition for other CAD software (e.g. AutoCad or Microstation), which is proven by the preference of C-Geo for building and controlling of highways in Poland (also by companies from France, England, Germany and Portugal).